As I explained in my last post, my sister Beth and I work as a team to accomplish cosplays. So yeah, coordinating cosplays are kind of our thing. Our biggest goal is to do Black Widow and Scarlet Witch in their Civil War looks. If you read my last post, you’ll know Beth is going to be Black Widow and I’ll be Scarlet Witch.
My job is to sew her bodysuit and my corset. Both of these are things I’ve sort of done before. This is my fourth body suit and as many cosplayers know, pattern companies have decided to start catering to our needs so the new Black Widow was sewn mainly with Yaya A Han’s “ultimate bodysuit pattern. The sewing defiantly tested my skills, in fact the suit and the mock up I started almost 9 months ago, but both of us were very happy with the fit of the final result.
I’m sure the first thing, people want to know is how I’m doing the coat for Scarlet Witch, I am throwing money at the very talented Space Invader who did my sister’s Howling Commando’s Bucky Barnes coat. It’s no low price but ever since my sister got her coat, I really wanted to own a piece of her work that’s my own.
Having doing such allowed me to focus on the corsetry which has been on my sewing bucket list for a long time. First of all, I hate how most of my bodices with boning have turned out but I love the look of a well structured boned top or the benefit of a well cinched waste. This chance seemed to be the best time to start building up my weaker skills. My goal is to have three layers: top, lining and strength. Something I learned is that your strength layer can be your mock up if all goes well so that’s where I began, I’m now as far as the lining being complete and waiting for fabric samples from my coat for color matching purposes.